This small, virtually undeveloped province has Villa Tapia and Tenares as its principle towns. The main claim to fame is that it was the home province of the Hermanas Mirabal, whom Trujillo had assassinated—read Julia Alvarez’s In the Time of the Butterflies, which tells the whole story and is one of the most engaging books ever written about the Dominican Republic.
There is a museum dedicated to the Hermanas Mirabal in Ojo de Agua. Agriculture in the region centers around coffee and cacao (chocolate).
The Salcedo municipality (also known as Villa de los Almendros) id bordered in the north by the Gaspar Hernádez municipality and the Espaillat province; to the south by the Villa Tapia municipality; to the east by the Tenares municipality; and to the west by the Espaillat province.
Juana Núñez was the original name of what is now the city of Salcedo. Some historians believe that the name belonged to a socialite of the time, while others think it was the name of a slave. Her remains lie buried in the "Catedral Primada de América" (American Prime Catedral). In 1844 Juana Núñez was a section of Moca, itself a community in the district of La Vega. During that time, many of its residents contributed to the independent struggles, including Antonio Santana (Dima) and Juan Valerio. In 1880 it was made a cantonal post in the province of La Vega.
Later, when the Epaillat province was created in 1885, the cantonal post was moved to this new province. The name Juana Núñez was changed to Salcedo in 1896 in honor of Francisco Antonio Salcedo (Tito) (a hero in the Battle of Beller and a distinguished fighter in the independent movement) and the area was made into a community of the Espaillat province during the government of President Ulises Hereaux (Lilís).
Salcedo distinguished itself for its participation in the struggles against the North American intervention of 1916 and against Trujillo, where the Mirabal Sisters stand out. Their murder at the hands of the tyrant strengthened the movement that brought about the fall of the dictatorship.
The home of the Mirabal Sisters in Salcedo has been turned into a historical museum, as a reminder of that era in Dominican history
Tenares is located within the following borders: the Gaspar Hernández municipality to the north, the San Francisco municipality to the south and the east and the Salcedo municipality to the west.
What today is known as Tenares was born with the restlessness of its founder Julián Javier who in 1910 decided to divide his ranch into land plots, which he sold and gave away.
HE also built the municipal park and the first church. For the layout of the roads he used the suggestions of an Italian by the name of José Minervino, who said they should be wide and straight like those in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which characterized the streets at that time. The town is founded with the name Los Ranchos and by 1928 it is made a joint district with the name Villa Luperón, which was shortly changed because another town already had the name. It was then that the name Tenares surged, in honor of the hero of the independence war and leader of the Yaiba restoration, Castillo Olegario Tenares. In 1936 it becomes a municipality of San Francisco de Macorís and then in 1952, part of the Salcedo province.
Between 1912 and 1914 there was a struggle between the "bolos" and the "coludos", in other words, between the followers of Jiménez and Horacio (also known as "jimenistas" and "horacistas"), whose political symbols were a rooster with no tail (popularly known as "bolo") and with a tail ("coludo"). There were various armed encounters between these groups in Tenares, the strongest taking place in Loma Azul.
In 1981 Doctor Andrés Gabino Concepción made certain findings of human remains and weapons that correspond to this battle. Another important historical finding is that of a native pottery workshop in the Gran Parada community. Some of these findings are displayed in the Museum of the Dominican Man ("Museo del Hombre Dominicano").
In 1862 La Jagua, the original name of Villa Tapia, was a dependent section of La Vega and an area where various roads crossed and led to cities such as La Vega, Salcedo and San Francisco de Macorís.
La Jagua was made a municipal district in 1924 and kept its name. At first it was called the La Jagua District, but later on it became the Municipal District of Monsignor Meriño, in honor of the great Dominican priest and politician. Due to a petition of its residents, it was made into a community in September of 1932, but this status was dissolved in 1937 by the tyrant Trujillo and once again it was a section dependent on La Vega. When Salcedo was made into a province in 1952, the La Jagua section became part of this new territorial delimitation, and was again promoted to municipal district, now named Villa Tapia, in honor of General Doroteo Antonio Tapia, a Restoration hero. Later, in 1970, it was made a municipality and remained with the same name.